Friday, June 12, 2015

Real & Raw Day 5: One Confession of What is Sweet and Tender to me

I love two year olds!  For as much as people snicker about "terrible twos," for me it is one of the most precious developmental ages.  They are learning so much and sometimes talking so much (this varies with my crew) at that time!  They are so sweet and cuddley too!  For me their discipline challenges are mostly black and white.  I guess I remember that one of our children at age two would really try and "fudge" a line and that drove me nuts.  But, hey, that kid is 8 years old now and he still does that so it's more his general nature than it being the fault of him being two years old back then.

One thing that HAS made having a two year old in the house quite a challenge is that when I have a two year old, I'm usually either big pregnant, or already nursing a baby.  It's not quite as fun to cuddle a little loving two year old when you have a big belly.  It's also rather hard to nip something in the bud (literally) when you are strapped to a chair trying to nurse a newborn!  The most definite challenge I had with this was when our son David was two.  He was one of our late walkers/talkers.  He started walking about a month before his new baby brother, Luke, was born.  I think that I am STILL working out discipline issues that should have been taken care of a long time ago.  His strong-willed, testy personality, coupled with me being unable to fully let my words have some "truth" to them while I was nursing Luke, was sometimes a mix that resembled oil and water, if you get my point.  I wouldn't have it any other way, but this was definitely a challenging time.

I would give almost anything, you understand, to have a big belly right now.  But all of this rambling actually has a point.  The fact that I get to wrap Timothy tightly around my waist and shoulders unabated instead of having to share with a huge belly or a little nursling is bitter in several ways.  But it is also the sweetest, most tender thing ever.  God created Timothy with a powerful need and love for hugs and kisses.  God gave me this boy at a time that I needed this as much as that sweet boy does.  There are many, many "volunteer" hugs and kisses.  Then I also bet that I hear at least 5 times randomly, throughout the day, "Mama, I NEED to hold you!"  It's almost as if his arms that are reaching up to mine are saying, "Hey, you need to take a little rest too."  Timothy is also one of our strongest-willed kids, but you wouldn't be able to notice it much anymore if you don't hang around here.  He has been able to see consistency in his mother more than any other kiddo, I think.  Now that he is 2 & 1/2 I can hold one finger up to remind him of something that he knows the exact meaning of:  "If I don't obey mom the first time, I'm going to be in trouble and I don't like it."  He will say with a big grin at my one finger, "first time."  .... And then melt my heart with obedience that is coupled with a hug.

Thank you God, for Timothy's nurturing spirit.  Thank you for the opporunity to really feel these sweet, tender hugs.  You know exactly what I need and exactly when I need it.  I may not understand why you would have me go through this valley, but thank you that you fill my heart with Your tender mercies and your steadfast love that is new every morning.



"Remember my affliction and my wanderings,
the wormwood and the gall!
My soul continually remembers it
and is bowed down within me.
But this I call to mind, 
and therefore I have hope:
The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
His mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
'The LORD is my portion,' says my soul,
'therefore I will hope in Him.'"
Lamentations 3:19-24

No comments:

Post a Comment