Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Real & Raw Day Three: Mercy in a Word

Some time had passed after peeling myself from the floor.  I had dried my tears, I had finished what I was working on in the bathroom and I was left with a question that was as insistant for an answer as the need was to cry out to Jesus in the first place.  The reason I had the following question, I'm going to leave as something private.  Imagine that!  I'm certainly not being very private here lately!  But my question was:  What does the word "mercy" mean?  I do know what I think it means, but how is that word actually used in scripture?  I really didn't even quite understand everything about why I cared, but I just knew that I needed to know the answer!

I asked Whitley, "Would you please look up the Hebrew word for 'mercy' and read the definition to me?"  This is the kind of question that is right up my husband's alley.  Just as a reminder to my family and I and any readers who might appreciate the giggle, this is what the "table" next to my husband's chair looks like at this very moment:


All of these books take their turns at being on the top of the stack.  There are at least 7 different Bible translations here all the time.  There is an assortment of concordances or other references that he uses while studying and there are a few books that don't relate to all things Bible but relate to farming and eating the way we should.  This table consists of just the pertinent, often thumbed through and studied or "I just like to look at it" material.  I'm not going to mention our hallway...  Let's just say there's enough in the hallway alone to get anyone through Seminary!  My husband is a studier of the scriptures and I've always adored him for it.  I love His Word too, but I don't guess I exactly attack it quite like I'm going to stand in a pulpit and proclaim it on Sunday.  He does quite often!

Anyway, he asked me for a scripture that I would like to relate the word to so that he could look up the number and give me the definition.  It was when he showed me that that I instantly began to understand why I needed to see its definition(s).  I had chosen just one scripture from looking in my "plain ol'" Bible's concordance.  I chose Romans 9:15, which I then realized was actually Paul quoting what God had said to Moses in Exodus 33:17-19.  So that was the reference in Whitley's Keyword Study Bible that we ended up using to get the Strong's number:

"A verb meaning to have compassion, to have mercy, to find mercy.  The word pictures a deep, kindly sympathy and sorrow felt for another who has been struck with affliction or misfortune, accompanied with a desire to relieve the suffering."  Nothing about this definition surprised me at first.  But, then we read the meaning when this word is used as a noun.

"A feminine noun meaning womb, compassion, mercy, affection, maiden.  The singular form of this word always signified the physical womb of a woman and was commonly used in this way (Genisis 49:25).  Yet when the plural form was used, the author had in mind the idea of compassion, tenderness, or mercy.  Old Testament authors thought of the womb as a seat of warm and tender emotions.  For example, when Joseph saw his brother Benjamin, he became overwhelmed with tender affection (literally wombs Genesis 43:30)."

Wow.  When I was crying out to Jesus for mercy concerning my own womb and its misfortune, I didn't even have to say "have mercy on my womb" if I had been speaking Hebrew.  I'm not suggesting that Jesus doesn't understand my English, of course!  I'm suggesting that the word mercy covered all of my feelings and desires!  The Holy Spirit interceeded for me (again) with groanings too deep for words (Romans 8:26)  Crying out to mercy for my "affliction or misfortune" as well as my desire for a baby to fill my womb again is more of a beautiful thought to me today than a painful one.  

Tomorrow I'll write about my further revelations concerning this great word.  Some of you know by now that I have a scripture from Daniel that has been hanging in my kitchen for a month.  He uses the 7356 meaning for mercy at one point or more.  I'll be looking more at it this evening.  I have prayed this scripture I will be writing about ever since I went to Carol Howard's ladies retreat in March.  It's good, good stuff.

I am drawing near to you, Jesus.  Thank you for drawing near to me. (James 4:8) Thank you, Lord, for being near to the brokenhearted... (Ps. 34:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment